Rome walking food tour to Rione Monti will lead you through narrow cobblestone alleys, artisans’ stores, art galleries, small squares and old buildings. Rione Monti is a city within a city. Wandering through this neighborhood, getting lost and sitting at the café, a trattoria or a wine bar is one-life-time experience.
Where does this atmosphere come from?
Rome walking food tour in one of the oldest districts of the city
The Monti district is the oldest in the city. Its name is linked to the three of the seven hills of Rome included within its boundaries: Esquilino, Viminale and part of Quirinale. According to the tradition here Rome was founded. Today it is the largest district in the capital and is very hilly indeed, with streets and stairways going up and down everywhere. The three hills stand out on the district coat of arms, a reminder for the name etymology.
Monti is a historical district, with similar features to Trastevere but more central and better connected (it lies halfway between Termini station and the Fori). It was the “Suburra” of Ancient Rome, i.e.a poor and dangerous district of the city, where the working class lived and often associated with gambling and prostitution.
The area was rather neglected and run-down in the postwar period until the 1990s. In the last 20-30 years, the district has been thriving, becoming one of the most picturesque and vital neighborhoods.
Rome Food Guide to Monti District
This area is to be experienced from its culinary point of view: the are teems with trattorias, bars and clubs. On a Rome walking food tour to Monte Rioni you will be spoiled for choice!
- Via del Boschetto is world-known for housing the most numbers of restaurants per square meters in the entire capital! It embraces historical wine bars and wine shops, especially around the central squares of the Rione, where locals and tourists meet, especially on weekends. It’s the famous “Piazzetta” (i.e., Piazze della Madonna dei Monti) and Piazza degli Zingari.
- Via Urbana is the most folkloric street with live music venues, especially jazz (such as Bar Monti!)
- Via Panisperna is amazing for the dolce vita atmosphere that characterizes many of the cafés that line it. There are pizzerias, ethnic restaurants, trattorias where you can enjoy typical Roman cuisine, wine bars, beer gardens and very nice bars where you can have excellent aperitifs towards the evening. Yes, because in recent years the neighborhood has become one of the favorite destinations of the Capitoline nightlife, frequented by tourists and Romans alike. A lively neighborhood, with clubs among the trendiest in Rome.
- And don’t miss out Via dei Serpenti and its bakeries known for its delicacies, ranging from sweet to savory. Here you will find bread of all kinds and for every taste, and you can take a journey back in time by tasting the bread that the ancient Romans used to eat, prepared with a special yeast and with raisins.
The best trattorias on your Rome walking food tour to Rione Monti
Which are the best trattorias during your Rome walking food tour?
- Taverna dei Fori Imperiali in Via della Madonna dei Monti. Here the passion for good food has been going on for over four generations offering the best Roman cuisine!
- Taverna Romana in Via della Madonna dei Monti is a real linchpin of Roman cuisine in the capital. Since the early 1800s, generation after generation has been handing down the recipes of traditional Roman classics.
- Trattoria Valentino in Via del Boschetto. Typical Roman trattoria boasting an intimate and informal atmosphere and a friendly staff!
Wait for other food tips in Monte Rioni (wine bars and rooftop terraces coming soon!) and shape the best Rome walking food tour!
YouLocalRome was born in this district, it’s “home advantage”! 😉
In the meantime, you may like: Best Trattorias in Rome